Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Dare--What I Did to Make Someone Smile Today (Including Myself)!

So the inimitable @ShellyKramer threw the gauntlet this morning. She issued a dare on her V3im blog, wherein she challenged us to make someone smile today. Not being one to back down on something this easy, I went right out and did it, and I have photos to prove it. I went to the KC Community Blood Center and offered up a donation. And not just for the free Oreos and apple juice. I insisted on documenting my experience throughout. This darling woman tried to duck out of the photo, but I told her how cute she looked and begged her to pose for me. My donation made her happy, and it made me happy. Perhaps not quite what Shelly had in mind, but I've been meaning to donate for a while and laziness is my only excuse. Thank you, Kansas City Community Blood Center, for your efficiency, stellar employees (especially Elmo, who let me ask him if people ever make jokes about his name), and for getting me in & out so quickly, even though I didn't have an appointment.

Here's the rub, people: this cost me nothing, required ZERO effort on my part, took roughly 1/2 hour from start to finish (including paperwork), and best of all, gave me an excuse to chuck Jazzercise & Jillian today, as I've been instructed not to engage in any rigorous/strenuous activities for the next 24 hours. Can't beat that.

You may note I did not allow the superior Community Blood Center staff to photograph me, but rest assured you can tell it's me by the big feet clad in really old tennis shoes. I was kinda hoping all that blood might call hotties Eric and Bill out to play, or perhaps even the Cullens, but alas there were no bloodsuckers to be found. Damn it.

In a similar vein (pun absolutely intended), how can you spread the smiles today? I confess that I needed a smile today. I needed to feel worthy, good, and helpful. So I went out and did something about it. What can you do today---both for yourself AND for someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner