Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving: It's Really About the Pie.

Our local newspaper asked us last year to submit a short letter, in 150 words or less, about what we were thankful for on Thanksgiving. They called me to verify authorship, so I got pretty excited, but still wasn't sure it would be published. I woke last Thanksgiving morning to find it/this in the paper. Happy Turkey Day, everyone!

*******************
My husband and I were desperate to have children, but a medical condition presented a roadblock. After a roller-coaster ride of Clomid, intrauterine insemination and in-vitro fertilization, I was lucky enough to become pregnant. I gave birth to twin girls in 2005 and am so grateful to the doctor who helped us. Without her, there would be no infectious laughter, no one to call me “Mommy” and no mess of Goldfish crumbs in my back seat. I am grateful to my husband who has been my best friend through everything. There is no greater gift than sharing a Thanksgiving dinner with him and my daughters. This year I will pause as we begin to heap our plates with mounds of sweet potatoes. I will choke up as I look at my husband and my daughters and think to myself, “I am the luckiest woman in the world.”

******************
And on that note, I'd like to introduce you to one of my daughters. This video was taken shortly before her 2nd birthday as she's chowing down on Thanksgiving leftovers. Without modern medicine, without wonderful doctors, without my husband, parents and supportive friends, this little one (and her darling twin sister) would not be here. I am so lucky. And there was no mix up at the lab, people. Clearly this girl loves pie, just like her mama. She doesn't just love it. You might say she's a wee bit obsessed just like her mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner