Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Things I don't understand about the Fashion Industry #463

When it comes to models there are basically two types: Commercial and High Fashion. 

(Yes, I know there are many subsets such as lingerie, sport, swimwear, balaclava and so on, but for this purpose I'm breaking it down into it's most basic form)

The general consensus on these models from fashion people is:
Commercial or Catalogue = Bad
High fashion = Good

"Commercial" can almost sound like a dirty word when being used to describe a model and can sometimes be the kiss of death to a career, for which I blame Tyra Banks.  This is not unusual as I blame Tyra Banks for many things.  Because she is evil.

This is just one of the many idiotic attributes of the fashion industry. 

Sure, high fashion models have their place - if I wanted to sell a used-spaceship or a new line of astronaut-wear, they'd be perfect.  But if I was trying to present my fashion line in the best possible way, I can't understand why I wouldn't want a well-proportioned, pretty, happy and clean looking girl?

Adding to the above, it is of my judgemental and completely irrational opinion that a commercial model would be pleasant, accommodating and hard-working whereas the high fashion model would turn up late with dirty hair and act like an asshole, while getting paid 5 times as much as the commercial model.

Let's take a look at examples of these two types of models. 


High Fashion Model

Commercial Model


I know who I'd rather look like, you can keep your elevated hourly rate.

The high fashion model is from Marc Jacobs S/S 2011 show who I've never met and is probably the nicest and most professional person in the industry.  The Commercial model was stolen from the latest Target catalogue.  Also, I'm sure Tyra Banks is not evil.  The above rubbish is fiction and has nothing to do with either model, whose pictures have nothing to do with this ridiculous blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner