Friday, March 13, 2009

Hamentaschen

Okay, so this darling Jewish girl brought homemade hamentaschen to our Intro to Judaism class Tuesday night. I copied down her recipe since they were so delish. As many of you recall, I attempt hamentaschen annually with mixed results---generally they taste pretty good but look quite ugly. I just can't seem to get it right, which is really no surprise since I'm no culinary expert.

I thought I'd share her recipe with you in case you want to try. I've been taking pics along the way, but will not be able to post them until Dan gets home and shows me the "new" way how to upload....

You will need:
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
(preserves of your choice and/or nutella)
Yields 30 hamentashen.

Combine all (EXCEPT preserves & nutella) ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. Roll out dough and use a small glass to cut circles out of it. Fill each circle with about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of the preserves of your choice (I have been warned that reds run more than the oranges, but my first batch would prove otherwise), then pinch the sides together so that you end up with three corners (evil King Haman's hat). Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

That being said, I used apricot and strawberry preserves in this morning's batch (forgot to get Nutella at the store), and the strawberry ones look beautiful, while a few of the apricot ones collapsed/spilled over. Oh well. You'll see when I post pics later.

We are going to a special Purim service tonight with the girls, and then taking them out to dinner somewhere nearby. I'm looking forward to it.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner