Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall--Is What I See Accurate at All?

My husband recently accused me of having BDD, or Body Dysmorphic Disorder. This psychological disorder is very complex and while I won't bore you with any statistics, I think it's fair to say it affects a significant number of people, both male and female. It is closely associated with other disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, compulsive overeating, social phobias, anxiety, and depression. Onset typically occurs in adolescence or early adulthood. An obsession with one physical feature can quickly grow to encompass several.

People who suffer from BDD are often misperceived as vain, when in reality they loathe what they see in the mirror. Some may spend lots of time looking at themselves and focusing on their imperfections while others refuse to look at their reflections at all, becoming reclusive because they believe themselves to be so hideous.

I admit I fit the profile for this, but that my case is pretty mild compared to others I've heard about (not mentioning any names). You may recall reading about some of my hangups here.


What do YOU see when you look in the mirror? Do you feel like you see what is real/accurate, or is your perception skewed? And are you able to separate what you perceive from what the reality is?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner