Monday, February 8, 2010

(Picture) Memoir Monday, or Random Thoughts on the Degrees I'm Not Using



Today is the first ever Picture Memoir Monday hosted by Travis over at I Like to Fish. Please go check him out and link up to play along!



Millsaps College Graduation Day - May, 1998

I'm the goof on the left with the bad hair who's still sporting my Freshman 15 20 25. I was a regular old graduate. No cum laude, summa cum laude, or magna cum laude for this girl just *crickets* when they called my name. I majored in English, minored in French, failed out of Intro to Cell Biology my freshman year and squeaked by with mediocre grades in my lit classes. I overdosed on extracurricular activities: wrote for the campus newspaper, taught elementary-level French to second & third graders, and was on the executive board of my sorority. I worked in the Millsaps Writing Center, co-chaired the No-AIDS Task Force, and submitted anonymous poetry to the campus literary magazine. I was well rounded to be sure, but maybe if I'd focused on my classes more I'd have had a decent GPA excelled. There were so many things I wanted to dabble in, I couldn't possibly choose one or two.
University of New Orleans Graduation Day, December 2000

Wait a sec, am I having deja vu? No, this is my graduation from my Master's program. English again. I went back to school because I didn't know what else to do with myself after college.

And I still don't.

But this blog is a start. I can write what I want, hone my mad skillz, and best of all I don't have to deal with those super smart intellectual people who made me feel rather like a chump.

I am starting to realize less is more. I don't post here every day anymore. Perhaps the quality of my posts will improve as a result? Maybe I'll start to get somewhere and figure out where I'm going.

Because it's NOT back to school again.

Because the reality is I can't be a professional student, and the two degrees I've gotten were for nought.They're lying unused, tossed aside in some forgotten corner.

Because I have this nagging need to know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and who I am now that this motherhood gig is well underway.

Because I'm in my 30s and I don't have a career to call my own and I feel useless and small some days. Okay, many days.

Because if I'm not heading somewhere, towards something, it means I'm stagnating. Right?

***DISCLAIMER: this post is in no way intended to bash SAHM-hood. I am a SAHM. I do not mean to imply that our jobs at home are any less important/significant than those who are in the workplace. It just sucks that we don't get paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner