Friday, August 1, 2008

Us

Us Weekly is my one guilty pleasure. I love it. I'm addicted.

However, as I greedily grabbed my new issue from the mailman just now, I couldn't help but sigh when I saw the title splashed across the cover: "How They Get Thin Fast!" featuring new moms Halle Berry, Jennifer Lopez, and Nicole Kidman.

Argh. Double Argh.

Why must we women be so obsessed with our weight? Surely if men were the ones carrying the babies they wouldn't feel the need to bounce back so quickly, nor would society be waiting with baited breath to see them debut their post-baby bodies. Why the double standard? Men age and become more distinguished looking. On the flip side, women seem to be chastised for every wrinkle, bulge, or cellulite-ridden spot. Yet I confess I'd love to have Halle Berry's bod. Why is it so hard to be happy with who we are? I refuse to starve myself. I have a torrid love affair with food. I am an emotional eater. Hell, I'll probably head to the pantry after reading this new rag mag just because it's going to make me feel like crap!!!

rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner