Monday, July 6, 2009

Hernia

I have a hernia.

Sigh.

Double sigh.

It is not enough of a hernia to require a special/immediate trip to the OR to have it fixed. But it's been bothering me lately and today I got confirmation from Dan's partner, who I saw in the office this afternoon. I've had it for a few months and it bugs me most when I'm exercising or after I've eaten. The discomfort comes and goes and only rarely have I had real PAIN from it---it's mostly a dull ache, sometimes a little on the pinchy side.

I'm not really ready to set up surgery and loathe the idea of being operated on again (I've had several surgeries in recent years, only one was elective). Hernia repair is not a huge surgery like a c-section, but still requires general anesthesia, which I loathe, and being out of commission for a week or so. Doctor said I can put it off until it becomes really uncomfortable. It is an outpatient procedure, which is wonderful. But still surgery, which sucks.

I think I'll put it on hold for a while and see how things go. He told me I can still work out and do normal activities, no restrictions...so that's something.

My dad has had a few hernias, wondering if I have a genetic predisposition (not likely, especially since he said it was probably from pregnancy)? lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner