Friday, July 17, 2009

You, too, can be Super Jew!

I love my Shabbat candlestick set...I got it at B'Nai Jehudah's gift shop.
Challah in progress: be sure to incorporate the flour s-l-o-w-l-y.....

This is what it looks like after it's been sitting, covered, for 2 hours or so...all puffed up!


Braided and about to go into the oven. I am not the best at the braiding part.



Um, how do I rotate pictures? This is the finished product. If you want to try this out, the recipe is below.


I got this recipe from a very dear friend, Laura Fuhrman. She assured me it was easy, and although I was dubious the first time, she was right. So you, too, can be Super Jew on Shabbat and make your own challah!


You will need:

1 packet yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup Canola oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
3 1/2 cups BREAD flour (NOT all-purpose!)
3/4 tsp. salt


Put water in a large non-metal bowl. Sprinkle yeast in and stir with a wooden spoon until dissolved. Add sugar, salt, egg, and oil. Stir well. Add flour slowly, a little bit at a time. Mix thoroughly with your hands. Cover with a towel and let stand for about two hours. Spray cookie sheet with Pam. Braid challah. You can brush it with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy/sesame seeds or even cinnamon sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

**This recipe makes one rather large challah or two smaller challahs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner