Friday, September 4, 2009

My 33rd Birthday---My First From-Scratch Cake

Getting all set up with ingredients, tools, etc.
Working on the batter, adding the vanilla extract.

Fortunately I had a little helper named Abby.

Pulling them out of the oven. I think I overcooked them a tad. Could've been more moist.
Starting the chocolate frosting--damn, have forgotten how to flip/turn the pics.
Frosting the cake with homemade chocolate butter cream, yum yum!

Carefully inverting the second layer


Sadly I do not own a cake stand. Need to add this to my list. Plastic flowered tray instead.

Little helpers like to lick the frosting off the mixer attachments.




Izzy LOVED the cake. It was okay. I honestly felt like the boxed stuff is better. Of course this was just my first attempt, so who knows...I think I screwed up a few things, like using salted butter instead of unsalted, and failing to sift the dry ingredients beforehand. Live and learn, I guess. But it still felt really good to prove to myself that I CAN actually make a REAL cake that doesn't come out of a Betty Crocker box. That's a decent accomplishment for my 33rd year.
Right??

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner