Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Book of Qualities by J. Ruth Gendler

The Book of Qualities by J. Ruth Gendler has been a favorite of mine since I was in high school. If you are intrigued by what you see here, I encourage you to order it from Amazon.com or check your local library. Below are two excerpts. Gendler takes 74 everyday qualities (Pleasure, Anger, Beauty, Change, Stillness, Terror, Resignation and Courage, to name a few) and transforms them into characters we relate to, see in ourselves, and long to befriend or become. Beautiful illustrations accompany the descriptions of many of the Qualities. Obviously Courage is one I aspire to, but there are so many more. I should also add that this isn't a book book---it's a short, really easy read.You don't have to read it cover-to-cover, there are no characters to keep track of, no plot to follow. Just beautiful stuff, plain and simple. Inspiring.

Books are my best friends. Stay tuned for my quasi-review (for I know not how to write any sort of official review) of the book I just finished, Loving Frank by Nancy Horan. But without further adieu, I give you some of Gendler's Qualities:





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner