Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Write On: How I Met My Husband, or, Chivalry Isn't Totally Dead

Tattoos and Teething Rings gave us some writing prompts for her new Write On gig. Tats is one cool chick and she recently sent me a neat book, Judaikitsch: Tchotchkes, Schmattes and Nosherei, just because she's nice like that. Thanks, Tats! Go check her out and link up!



Anytats, the prompt I've chosen to write about is:

How did you meet your husband/wife (or boyfriend/girlfriend)? Was it love at first sight? Did you think he/she was completely obnoxious? Maybe it was your worst date ever?

In October of 1999, some friends asked if they could set me up on a blind date. I reluctantly agreed. George and Laura are dear friends and a darling couple, and for years I baby sat for their three daughters regularly. As most of you know, I am Jewish by birth, but until I met George and Laura I didn't really begin to embrace my Judasim. They inspired me to start learning everything I could. They included me in their weekly Shabbat dinners, invited me to services with them, and I often celebrated Jewish holidays at their home as well.

George is a surgeon and one of his interns,"D," also Jewish, was lonely single and asked him over the high holidays if he knew "any nice Jewish girls." George replied that as a matter of fact, he did. Laura scribbled my name and digits on a tiny piece of paper and discreetly pressed it into D's palm. He still has the small scrap stashed away somewhere. She also wrote my age and that I was a grad student.

D called me soon after and he we talked for an hour. At the end of the call, he asked if I'd like to meet him for dinner. I quickly agreed and grabbed my planner so we could discuss dates.

"How about tomorrow?" he suggested.

Whoa, Nelly. I squashed down the fear that had catapulted itself into my chest and squeaked out, "Sure!"

Fast forward to the following evening. A black Honda Passport pulled into my driveway promptly at 7:00 p.m. I'm dressed in a grey twinset and a navy blue skirt, but my hair is still dripping wet and my dog, Keats, is having a coronary at the prospect of company. I'm flustered and answer the door leaning over to hold my dog back and afraid to look D in the face.

"Please-come-in-make-yourself-comfortable-excuse-my-dog, he-will-calm-down-after-you-let-him-hump-your-leg-for-a-few-minutes. I'm-going-to-finish-getting-ready-now, mmm-kay?" I say in a breathless rush as I dash back to my bathroom, closing the door quickly behind me and letting out a giant sigh of relief all at once. He's cute!!

Once I've finally managed to stop sweating under the blow dryer make myself presentable, we leave my apartment. D actually has a nice car which may as well be a Mercedes compared to my ex's 25-year old heap of green he affectionately called "Esmerelda." D takes it up another notch by gallantly opening my door for me and closing it once I settle myself in. As he walks back around the front of the car, I suddenly know this is a man---not a boy---that I am going on a date with. My stomach starts doing flip flops.

During dinner at a quaint little Italian place, D tells me his entire life story regales me with tales of his childhood over soft candlelight. I try to ignore the Eggplant Parmigiana (my favorite) on my plate because I'm too nervous to stuff my face in front of someone I've just met. The check comes too soon, and D refuses my offer to split the bill. More brownie points for D!

Big score for this guy so far. Not only did he come pick me up in his nice/clean car, he opened the door for me. He let my dog hump his leg and then he paid for dinner! This guy is a keeper!

I'm not sure I knew immediately that he was The One, but it didn't take long. I'm lucky he didn't dump me after our second date, when he took me to see American Beauty on its opening night. I was worried it would be sold out, so en route to the theater, I told him, "The speed limit is 40, but you can go 50," and he laughed at me while he gently accelerated.

As we shared popcorn and peanut M & M's, I kept stealing sideways glances at him. I liked what I saw. When he dropped me off after the movie, he was apparently going to let me go inside without a kiss. But I wanted him to know how I felt, so I planted a big one on him. Yes, I kissed him first!

I suppose that first kiss sealed the deal. We got married on December 1, 2001!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner