Friday, July 23, 2010

Zolra's Corner: The LGBT Connection



One thing I love about being an 18 year old openly gay male is that I have a long journey ahead of me. I don't think I haven't even started yet. I think I am still in the car waiting for the engine to work with me. Because of this, I have a whole bunch of material to create. Day to day life is what keeps me outside to work on several projects.

I consider myself a socialite. I love being around my friends and new people. Each of their lives are 10% similar, but they are 90% different. Whenever there is an event coming up that interest me, I would go there in a second, especially when I'm invited by a friend. I do have my limits. None of my friends know where I live. We're not that close yet.

One night, I went out with my best friend for a night at the club. It's the first time I've been out in a long time due to my crazy schedule. We went to different clubs and danced the night away. It feels great hanging out with your friends. Relationships are special too, but friends stay longer according million dollar socialites and business people. Once midnight finally arrived, the night was more interesting and mysterious than I thought.

The two of us happened to run into our ex-boyfriends that same night. One was drunk out of his mind while the other looked like he could handle three bottles of any beverage. Then I looked on the other side of the street. One of my former co-workers were hanging around this club I usually walk around. My ex pointed at him and they gave each other a huge bear hug. Me and my best friend walked a few steps back. We were completely shocked at what was going on. Turns out my co-worker used to date him just like how my ex tried to make moves at my best friend before I knew any of them.

I walked away feeling confused. One thing I always try to do is to make my personal and professional life private. If I ever dated anyone, it will be someone that doesn't know anybody I know and I don't know anybody he knows. I tried the whole dating connections thing. It always worked out for the worst.

Me being a fan of the horror, thriller, science fiction, and fantasy genres, I couldn't help but to study this weird connection that is going on right in front of our eyes.

Something I've noticed is that the LGBT community are connected like an invisible rope, especially in the performing arts. We do have heterosexual friends that love us, but gay folks are rising above them in numbers. All of my friends are in the film/television, theatre, fashion, and music industry. In some ways, that is great. I love creativity. I have been attracted to that for a long time. I'm sure that's one reason why I've dated people in the arts.

I love having friends in Maryland and New York. However, one tiny problem with that is that everybody knows everybody. When you want to get to know somebody professionally or personally, it becomes very uncomfortable because they know people around you and you know people around them. If you don't like somebody it will be hard to get rid of them due to the connection.

After me and my best friend left the club with huge questions ringing in our heads, it got me thinking.

In the LGBT community, does having large connections be a positive thing, or will it lead us to a negative, emotional, downward spiral most of the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner