Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Little Greenies

If you read me regularly or even just lurk, it should come as no surprise that I am a green gal. I recycle, I compost, I use glass milk bottles (Shatto Dairy), I bring my own bags everywhere, and I dry most of my laundry on a rack. I turn off the tap while I brush my teeth and shave my legs. I shop at Whole Foods and local farmers' markets. Shelly Kramer and I are buying a cow, despite the fact that I'm no longer eating any meat (the rest of my family does). No, he will not be our pet, but he is currently grazing on a local farm eating GRASS (read: not corn) and living the sweet life.

It should also come as no surprise that I am green-ifying my children as well. I bought the girls a copy of Wubbzy Goes Green, and they love it. We talk about a lot of different things: turning off lights when we leave a room, closing the blinds/curtains to keep the house cooler in summer, and using cloth napkins instead of paper at mealtimes (check out cute ones for kids on Etsy!). They know which recycling bin is for glass, which is for plastic, and where to put the newspapers. We've also discussed litter, which really churns my butter because it ends up in places it shouldn't, like our oceans, rivers, and lakes. Deb over at Menopausal New Mom has written about the Pacific Garbage Patch, which was created in part by litter. I often pick up litter while we're on walks and will bring it back home to dispose of it.

While walking Monster (our mini Poodle) with The Father Load one day last week, the girls happened upon some litter in the street.

A plastic bottle, to be exact. Abby immediately picked it up and handed it over to Daddy.

The Father Load said, "Put it down, I'm not carrying that on a walk."

Abby said, "But it's litter, we always pick up litter."

The Father Load replied, "I'm not Mommy, I don't pick up every piece of trash I see on the street."

Izzy piped up and said, "You're not good for the environment, Daddy."

Abby added, "It's time for you to go green, Daddy."

Daddy said, "I'm trying."

Izzy snapped, "You don't try, you just DO."

Abby echoed, "Yeah Daddy, you just DO."

What are you teaching your kids about going green and the environment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner