Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Asparagus and Soft Eggs on Toast

Remember that post-it I wrote yesterday to my husband about dinner not having to include meat to be a meal? Yeah, well, it was written with this recipe in mind. It's from Real Simple magazine (which I heart, by the way). I was dying to make it. It's supposed to look like this:



Admittedly I'm no Martha Stewart. But I just want to ask you, my dear readers: do your poached/soft eggs come out this perfect and perky looking? Mine did not. I conveniently forgot we have a Williams-Sonoma egg-poaching pan with separate little compartments for each egg. We registered for it when we got married and used it often before the girls were born, but not so much lately. So infrequently that I forgot we had it. Otherwise my eggs might have been prettier. I was so mortified with the outcome that I did not photograph my sad, frumpy eggs. I should have, because then you would have laughed at my efforts and this post would be so much better. Suffice it to say that this is kinda what happened when I plated everything and served it last night:

However, everything tasted delicious despite its sketchy appearance. I admit we were both hungry again shortly thereafter. Still, it's a good way to be "green," (LOL) even if only one night a week or so. Less meat is better for our bodies and better for our planet (not to mention easier on our wallets!).

p.s. If you try this recipe, please cut off the tough ends of the asparagus stems and then use a peeler on the remaining bottom inch or so. Makes it so much tastier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner