Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day! What Kind of Bagger Are You? Take My Poll, Too! --->

Last week Deb over at Menopausal New Mom wrote about how many plastic bags we consume each year---500 BILLION. If you missed this mind-boggling post, please check it out here, it's a must-read. It was she who inspired me to go incognito and hide out in my minivan in various grocery store parking lots over the last few days. I put Laurie Berkner on my iPod to distract the girls, but Abby looked at me quizzically as I tried to discreetly lower my window every few seconds to get a shot, "Mommy, why are you taking pictures of people?" "Because Mommy is being sneaky," I told her. They laughed and laughed as my heart rate shot up every time I thought someone was noticing me and what I was doing.***and yes, these are all real photos I took here in my hometown over the last week.***

But I have to know. Be honest, now! (& please take my poll ---> )


Are you a (1) Everything But the Cases of Sugary Soda Goes in a Plastic Bag Bagger?
(and you in your cute lil' Volvo-- don't be tryin' to tell me you can't afford to buy some reusable bags)

Are you a (2) Two Plastic Bags Bagger?
(C'mon Mr. Manly Man. Man Up Already and Get Some ReusaBALLS!)

Are you a (3) I Don't Even Try To Hide It, I Even Enter The Store Without Reusable Bags Bagger?
(so did you leave 'em in the car & you're too lazy to go back, or do you seriously not own any of your own bags?)

Are you a (4) I Even Carry My Craptastic Subway Sammie in a Single Plastic Bag Bagger?


(or Exhibit B, just your regular groceries in a single bag? C'mon. COME ON.)


(Seriously---do you honestly need that ONE bag?)
,

Or are you a (5) This Bag Is Da Bomb Because It Speaks For Me Kind of Bagger?
This is my personal reusable bag and several months ago I gave away one just like it. But I'm not giving anything away today because I want you to get off your fannies and JUST DO IT already. Get your own. Nag your friends to get their own. Give them as gifts along with some Green cleansers, reusable chamois, etc.

I went to Hy Vee in Mission (a local grocery store) and spoke with one of the managers, Robert. I showed him these and even gave him the purple one to keep:
(reusable produce bags I bought at Whole Foods)

I was wearing my Earth Day t-shirt, had a cart with my reusable bags & groceries inside, my Shatto milk in glass bottles, etc. I told him that as a Green Gal, I'd love to see his store selling these right along with their reusable shopping bags. I added that Whole Foods is doing it and that they've also done away with plastic bags. He didn't have much to say, but was very nice and seemed enthusiastic. The whole time in my head I was thinking about Deb's post where she confronted the manager about the litter in his parking lot. "TAWANDA!" I thought.

I am taking responsibility. I am demanding change. I'm going to keep doing it until it happens.

I encourage you to join me.

Happy Earth Day. Let's change the world together. You can also go to Deb's blog today because she's hosting another phenomenal GO GREEN GIVEAWAY---check it out!

Edited to add: I stash my reusables everywhere--the car, by my back door to the garage, in my purse, etc. so I'm rarely without. If I forget them, my "punishment" is to buy a new bag or two wherever I am shopping. I have quite a collection and have put some in The Father Load's car as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner