Monday, December 14, 2009

Baking up a shortbread storm!

Fellow bloggy buds,

Please be patient with me as I have not been very diligent about reading/commenting/visiting. The holidays are upon us and things are crazy! Next week I am taking Abby & Izzy to New Orleans to visit my family, which means that this week is jam-packed and I'm trying to get everything done. Today I am baking. I will share with you my mom's famous shortbread recipe (drool). I'm baking several batches today to share with friends and neighbors.

Julie's Fabulous Shortbread

You will need:
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar, plus 3 tbs. more (in holiday colors if you like) for sprinkling on top
2 cups sifted flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

*Preheat oven to 350, grease a 9 x/ 13 pan.

*Beat the butter until it is light and creamy. Beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Sift the flour with the salt & baking powder, then fold into the butter mixture.

*Place the dough in the baking pan and use your fingers to pat it down/in.

*Sprinkle the top with the remaining/colored sprinkles and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.

*Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.


I cut the shortbread into squares and put them into these to-go boxes I got from Hobby Lobby. It didn't turn out quite as cute as I'd hoped, but I've told you all I'm no Martha Stewart...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner