Monday, June 7, 2010

My Best Friend's Wedding and Pooping in the Castle

The Father Load and I spent the weekend in Savannah, where my BFF got married. It was a fantastic weekend filled with fun, new friends, amazing food, Southern hospitality, and Moon Pies....

Heather (The Beautiful Bride) and I at the Bridal Luncheon at Vic's on the River.
Heather graciously lent us all fun hats so we could have
the quintessential Southern belle look at lunch.
Me, Beth (Maid of Honor), Heather, and Kristy
Heather welcomes her goddaughter, Cecilia, who was a fabulous flower girl.
Cecilia & her mom, Shakira (bridesmaid), at the luncheon.
Heather wipes her tears during her Aunt Claudia's speech. Heather's Grandma is on the right. Aunt Claudia and Grandma Johnson hosted the lovely and delicious luncheon. Shrimp and grits, MmMmMmmmmm!
Heather and her Maid of Honor, Beth, who have been friends since they were wee ones!
Beth did an incredible job and spent the entire time running errands, stuffing gift bags,
helping Heather, and making sure everything went smoothly & efficiently.

This is the speech I gave at the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding. Heather asked me for a copy and I really wanted to share it here as well:


When I think of Heather, the beach and the ocean instantly come to mind. It all started at Millsaps College (where we met our freshman year in 1994) because her car smelled sandy and salty--like vacation and fun things and happy memories.

Heather's heart and her capacity for love are like the ocean---boundless, vast, inviting, always pulling you in with its magical, magnetic current. Like the seagulls that land on shore, she sits quietly, waiting for you to need her. And then she is there.

I knew Heather was special from the moment I met her at Millsaps. It was our second night on campus and I was alone, homesick, and throwing myself quite the pity party in the hallway of Bacot 2nd West. Like a seagull, Heather alighted next to me and after asking what was wrong, admitted to being a bit homesick herself.

"Tomorrow is my birthday and no one knows me here or cares," I sobbed miserably. After reassuring me and talking me off the edge of the cliff, we went to bed in our respective rooms.

The next morning as I headed out into the hall to the shower, I was greeted by an enormous handmade birthday banner and decorations.

She knew.
She's always known.

Like the ebbs and flows of the tide, Heather always comes back to me. She'll wash up on shore again just when you need her, like a message in a bottle or a perfect seashell you pick up and brush the wet sand off to take home---a treasure.

Mike, you have found quite the treasure.

THE BIG DAY
In the Marshall House lobby right before heading to the church...

Pointing to our (Phi Mu) sisters forever bond, our matching tattoos on our right hips!


Flower girls and ring bearer walking up the aisle at Sacred Heart Church.
Me coming down the aisle
Heather heading down the aisle with her Dad, Hal.
Hal as he's about to give the gorgeous Heather away...awwww!

Perhaps the funniest part of the wedding aside from the fact that I'm a Jew and I was sitting in a Catholic church was the conversation going on directly behind me between my fellow bridesmaid, Shakira, and her daughter Cecilia. My shoulders were shaking with laughter and surely everyone wondered what was going on. ** please note that Cecilia is 2 1/2, precocious, potty training, and was wearing Pull Ups during the ceremony. Cecilia also considers all churches "castles." This conversation was copied directly from Shakira's blog with her permission because she tells it better:

Cecilia: Mami, is this a castle?


Shakira: Yes baby, this is a castle.

Cecilia: Mami, Titi Heather is a princess?

Shakira: Yes baby, Titi Heather is a princess. Shhh Shhh

Cecilia: Mami, I got to go potty. Mami, I poopie in the castle?

Shakira: No baby, there is NO POOPIE IN THE CASTLE! (said in my best mommy whisper)

Cecilia: Mami, Blanca Nieves (Snow White) poopie in the castle.

Shakira: Yes baby, but this is not Blanca Nieves' castle and we can't get up to go to the potty. That's why you are wearing a Pull-Up today.

Cecilia: Mami, accidents happen, I pee pee in my Pull-Up.
This is Shakira with her other daughter, Gabi at the reception at The Pink House.
The first dance as bride and groom!
At the Savannah airport yesterday, who should we run into but Shakira & her fam?
So glad I got to meet you all!


Heather thought of every detail and planned a beautiful, extravagant and special wedding, including goodie bags for all of her guests.They were reusable totes stuffed with bottled water, Cokes, homemade cookies, homemade Georgia-themed magnets, and MOON PIES!!! I saved mine for the girls, and they dug in last night:



Thank you, Heather, for a wonderful weekend! We had a blast and I felt so privileged to be a part of it. Thank you also to your parents and Mike's, and to all of your family and friends who made me feel so welcome. CONGRATULATIONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner