Sunday, August 16, 2009

Food

Food is an obsession of mine. I love it. It's a big problem, especially given my thyroid issues lately.

And we have a wedding to attend next month in DC. Have no idea what I'll wear or even what still fits me at this point. Nevermind that I can't exercise much for the moment. So I'm trying (really hard this time) to curb my bad eating habits, to stop eating when I'm full, eat fewer carbs, and eat more organic things. I've basically kicked my Diet Coke habit and am so happy. This doesn't mean I've totally obliterated caffeine; I sometimes have some iced tea or a few sips of coffee, but no more carbonated beverages.

For breakfast I'm trying to do cottage cheese with fruit or a few scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast. Sometimes oatmeal with fruit (oatmeal is my fave, but more carbs than I should have). The cold cereal has to go, as much as I love it. I also got some Kashi waffles and may spread a tablespoon of peanut butter on one. My biggest problem is protein, methinks. I don't feel full for very long. So I need to focus on nuts, grains, fiber(as in fruit), dairy (yogurt, milk, cheese)--things that will stick to my ribs.

For lunch I do a lot of soup, turkey roll-ups, or sometimes Smart Ones frozen things to break up the routine a bit. And dinner is whatever I'm cooking. My other big problem is eating late at night due to a dessert addiction. We regularly resort to Skinny Cow ice cream cones around 8 p.m. or so after we get the kids to bed. A little sweet treat/reward. While those cones are touted as "healthy," "low-cal," etc., it doesn't change the fact that it's more food I don't really need to put in my mouth to begin with, especially that late at night.

Best-laid plans. I always start out great, but if I deny myself too much, I binge. It's not pretty. But I am also trying to stick with a real food diary this time--documenting every single morsel I put in my mouth. Because when you look at everything you've eaten in a given day/week, it can shock you.

Would love to hear any comments/tips/suggestions/thoughts/miracles you might have to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner