Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Poetry and my high school English teacher

Here's a poem my high school English teacher handed out to us once. I instantly fell in love with him and the poem. The funny thing is that I think he might've liked me a little bit, too, but obviously that was totally inappropriate and perhaps wishful thinking on my part. One day another girl I had previously considered my friend called me out in front of the class---told everyone I was sleeping with Mr. Brian to score A's on all my papers. Can you imagine?? ME??? Sleeping with a teacher? Anyone who knows me knows that this was utter bunk and in all actuality he was sending flowers to a girl in another class and calling her at home! He eventually got fired when the principal was alerted to the shenanigans.

Anyway, here's the poem:

"Of Fashion" by Everette Maddox
(interesting tidbit: The Everette C. Maddox Memorial Prose & Poetry Reading, held every Sunday in the courtyard at The Maple Leaf, is the longest running poetry reading in North America. The Maple Leaf is an old bar in New Orleans, my beloved hometown.)

If you don't believe life is rhythmic,
Listen late at night: all over the world
Neckties are widening and narrowing.

Lapels are widening and narrowing
Collars are buttoning up and flying loose.
Trouser cuffs are folding and unfolding.
Skirts are rising and falling,
Hair is lengthening and shortening.

Somewhere, in the lamplight
Of an apartment or hotel room we once had,
Your clothes are slipping down again,
My hands are going crazy in your hair,
Our hearts are beating against each other.

Somewhere, surf is hissing.

Somewhere, Dover Beach maybe,
Something fragile and afraid
Is trying to last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner