Saturday, August 29, 2009

On the Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

My Uncle Steven's house in Lakeview. Obviously all that stuff is mold. The excessive heat & humidity combined with the fact that no one was allowed back in until a month later only allowed it to fester. Everyone still talks about "that smell," which permeated everything. Note the lines along the upper walls---the water line. Because New Orleans is a bowl and completely below sea level, the floodwater seeped in and then had nowhere to go. It sat and sat and sat. New Orleans drowned. Many others along the Gulf Coast lost everything completely (i.e. only foundations left), but I'm not sure this was any better or easier.

This was exactly how they walked in and found it. The water moved/stacked everything like this.

My uncle's kitchen. The fridge had lodged itself on top of the counter.



This one is the last photo of my uncle's house. More mold on the sofa, walls, etc. I feel as if the photos stand on their own and I don't need to add much of anything. My next post will be of my brother & sister-in-law's home, also in Lakeview. I am not good enough with Blogger to figure out how to get it to space out my pics within text.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner