Saturday, August 15, 2009

Inspired by Reluctant Housewife, a.k.a. Melanie

So I'm truly inspired by a post Melanie (Reluctant Housewife) wrote back in April (read it here http://adventuresofthereluctanthousewife.blogspot.com/2009/04/im-that-kind-of-girl.html), and am going to be a big, fat copycat and do the same.

Here's a little bunch of random facts about me.

I was bullied a lot in school when I was younger. I specifically recall a girl (ironically named Melanie) who used to steal my lunch every day. I was in first grade and she was in second, yet she seemed sooo much bigger than me. I don't remember ever really standing up for myself. I was too scared. This same scenario played itself out again and again as I got older, but no one ever stole my lunch again.

My dad is gay and I'm a Jew. So if you're homophobic or anti-Semitic, go somewhere else.

I am not a big party girl, but I do love me a nice glass of Chardonnay or a Cape Cod with a lime.

I love to read. I love to write. I loathe when people ask me what I "do." I don't take enough pride in being a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom). It just doesn't sound very exciting, intellectual, or noteworthy. Yet there are sooooo many of us out there. And what we do is extremely important even though we don't get paid for it.

I am entirely too self-conscious for my own good. Current issues include (but are not limited to) the fact that I am hypothyroid after years of being skinny & hyperthyroid. My metabolism is getting to be more normal, which translates into I can't eat as much as I used to or as much as I want to. I love Jazzercise, but due to recent hernia surgery, I have to take a bit of time off, which is really bothering me. I am dying to get back to it because I feel like a slug. At least if I'm working out I can say that I'm working on things.

I have two younger brothers and I wish we were closer. I was a bossy bitch to them when we were growing up. And I should make a better effort now.

I am excited to be on the board of J-LEAD this year (Jewish Leadership, Education, Action & Development), a group of young Jewish adults looking to make a difference in the community. I am also having a quasi-interview this week with some people from the Alzheimer's Association (another organization near & dear to my heart) about possibly serving on their board. I'm nervous they won't want me since I'm just lowly SAHM. Such a vicious cycle, you see.

I am shy in person, I do far better with electronic communication. Writing comes much easier to me. Hence many arguments between my social butterfly husband and myself.

I like strawberries and puppies and things that are pink. I like poetry and pasta and people who are genuinely nice to me. I enjoy feel-good movies, foreign flicks, things with subtitles off the beaten path. I love reading and writing and Sylvia Plath. I like alliteration, rhyme, rhythm and the magic of words. I often relate to books better than I do to people. When I am your friend, I give myself to you completely. And if you shit on me, watch out. When I am your friend, I love you dearly and would do anything for you. I love giggling with girlfriends, date nights with my husband, taking my girls to the children's museum. I love fall and winter, Gerbera daisies, and being as GREEN as I can. I care deeply for animals, homeless people, and the Earth. I strive to be a better person every day. I love everyone else, but don't love myself enough. I am far too emotional & sensitive for my own good. I feel things very deeply, often more so than I let on. I cry when I see a stray animal (and sometimes take them home with me). I cry even more when I see a homeless person with a dog.

I wish I was creative. I wish I could draw or sing or play sports. I am klutzy and gawky and feel like Amazon woman. I know there are plenty of things I can do, but I tend to focus on the empty half of my glass sometimes.

Like Melanie, I am an anxious person. I used to take medication for this, but motherhood has mellowed me out a bit. I tend to get easily stressed. I'm a little OCD.

I also have a very good memory. And when you've stepped on my toes a few times....I don't forget. I am very honest & loyal(often to a fault), and I appreciate the same in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner