Thursday, October 15, 2009

Outraged over this Filippa Hamilton shiggedy--size 4 is fat?

I read this article on model Filippa Hamilton today and immediately flew into a frenzy. Hamilton is 5' 10" and weighs in at a mere 120 pounds (she's a size 4), certainly waif-like by modern standards. She's been fired for being too fat and Ralph Lauren went so far as to alter her appearance in ads---making her head out to be the largest part of her:

It sickens me that women are held up to such impossibly high standards. Why is an anorexic body considered ideal and desirable? More importantly, when was the last time you heard of a male model being airbrushed? And what was Ralph Lauren thinking by tinkering with the photo to this extreme? I think she looks sick and emaciated. It saddens me because these are the ads our young girls see as they flip through the pages of their magazines. They learn that this is the way they are supposed to look.
It's no wonder girls are growing up with Anorexia and Bulimia. It's no wonder that fourth graders are counting calories. It's no surprise that they look in the mirror and feel ashamed of their bodies, which are supposed to have curves. REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES!
I should follow my own advice because I never like what I see in the mirror. But I'm trying. I confess I'm probably just as susceptible to what I see in magazines...even though I know it's not reality and it's not healthy.
I am trying to focus on my overall strength, health, and what I put into my body, rather than numbers on the scale. I try to go to Jazzercise four times per week, but that doesn't always happen (like this week). I am reading more labels while I'm doing my grocery shopping, and I'm also making an effort to shop the perimeter of the store, rather than the processed junk in the middle. I'm shunning most things with high fructose corn syrup--I used to think I was a rock star for eating Yoplait yogurt. But guess what? It's loaded with artificial junk (including high fructose corn syrup). Not good for you. Did you also know your whole wheat bread probably has high fructose corn syrup in it? For a few days, I challenge you to read the labels on things you like to eat, things your kids like to eat. It's scary when we realize we can't pronounce half the things going into our mouths. I challenge you to make some changes, however small, so that you're taking better care of yourself and your family. Be realistic. Be kind to yourself.
So, shame on you, Ralph Lauren. You are an asshat. You don't get it, and you're as pompous and pig-headed as they come.
As a nation we need to focus more on our health. Surely it's more important that models be healthy and strong instead of scrawny and starving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner