Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Why backpackers have no place in Chanel

It’s hard to dress stylishly as a backpacker right?  We’d rather leave room in our bags for new pieces from Zara, Topshop, H&M etc.  Right?  Right?

As much as I love being a backpacker, something I really struggle with is looking like one.  Especially in the most stylish cities in the world.

On the last leg of our 2 month tour of Europe we had a few Euros leftover, so we decide to purchase the classic Chanel quilted ballet flats that I’ve always wanted.

We walked for 40 minutes in the scorching heat to the exclusive Via del Babuino shopping district feeling pretty darn excited. 

I had my $29.95 tied died maxi from ICE and leather thongs bought whilst in Morocco for $8.  The husband, as adorable as he is, does not care about style.  He is dressed in long baggy shorts, an ill-fitting shirt, a stupid hat and hiking boots.  Coupled with the fact that we our clothes don't fit the best due to us treating the 5 food groups as if they are pizza, pasta, gelato, beer and wine, we are quite the stylish pair. 

The Chanel staff obviously agree as no one comes near us.  They are also obviously on commission as we overlooked many times for plasticised Eurotrash.  God I love Eurotrash, I can’t look away.   

Finally a Chanel clad pixie kneels beside me to attend to my shoe needs, I kick off my thongs and she recoils in horror.  That's when I realise.  MY FEET WERE BLACK FROM THE WALK THERE.  Like really really black, with a built in thong mark.  And my toe nail polish was chipped.  And the underside of my feet were hard and dry from walking non-stop for 2 months in Converse. 

Even un-embarrassable husband was embarrassed, I quote “Going to Chanel with manky feet is like going to the Doctors with dirty undies”.  He had a point.

Any shred of dignity was lost when Husband asked to use the bathroom, took photos of me trying on shoes like a proud parent and then asked for a discount.  Thankfully the latter was in Italian so I didn’t know at the time.

The moral of the story? 

If you ever want to feel impoverished, fat, ugly and grubby, may I suggest a trip to Chanel in clothing that has been stuffed in a backpack for 2 months? 

Feet that have no business being anywhere near Chanel


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner